"Where has this book been all our lives?"
- Doug Hughes, Tony Award winner,
Obie Award winner for Sustained
Excellence in Direction
Publisher: Allworth Press, 2006
Paperback: 224 pages
An Actor Rehearses guides the actor step by step through the rehearsal process, from the moment you've been cast to the final curtain. Along the way, this book will help you to:
- Collaborate more effectively with directors
- Get the most out of the language of the play
- Formulate more compelling stage relationships with other actors
- Explore the emotional life of the character more deeply and reliably
- Create a performance that is both moving and incisive
- Get the most out of technical rehearsals
- Connect with your audience - every night
- Use acting as your path to becoming a better person: more compassionate, more vital, more alive
Along the way, Hlavsa encourages actors to enrich their experience – as actors and as people – through examining what they get out of performing, what they stand for in the world, and what they hope to give to their audiences. An Actor Rehearses is a must-read for both the budding and the experienced actor.